Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mapping Penny's World: A Must Read Mentor Text and a Social Studies FREEBIE

Happy Sunday.
I'm linking up with Collaboration Cuties to share a favorite text to use with social studies.  One of my favorite social studies books is Mapping Penny's World by Loreen Leedy.


This book is very similar to Me On the Map by Joan Sweeney (another favorite).   In this book Lisa learns about different types of maps.  She uses her dog Penny to complete a mapping project. 
I love this book because of the illustrations, the in depth explanation of maps, and because it is part of a series of three books that feature Penny (Measuring Penny and It's Probably Penny).  My first graders love all of these books.
Below you will find a freebie to use with Mapping Penny's World.  Students can draw a maps of their bedrooms and create a key to go with their maps.  Click on the picture below if you would like a copy.  The clip art is from Scrappin Doodles.



I highly recommend Mapping Penny's World and all of the other Penny books for your classroom library.  The stories are cute, the information is abundant, and your kids will really enjoy them.
For more tried and true recommendation head on over to Collaboration Cuties and check out the other Must Read Mentor Texts for social studies.

Thanks for reading and have a great week.  

12 comments:

  1. I love the penny books!! My students do too!! Thanks for linking up and sharing the freebie!!

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book. I love starting mapping units by mapping things that are familiar to the students. Thanks for the adorable freebie!
    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love this book too. Thanks for the freebie! We will use it next year during our mapping unit.
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen these books. So gad you shared! Thanks for the freebie!

    Karen
    Anappleadayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a new book to me! It looks great, thanks for sharing!
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this book! Now, I just need to think about where I have put it?? Thanks for the freebie!!
    Gwen
    Learning With Mrs. Brinn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Measuring Penny and will not have to pick up the others! Thanks so much for sharing your activity to go with Mapping Penny!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this book. But a Boston Terrier? I'm all over it:) Thanks!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your lovely post and blog. Thanks for featuring my Penny books! I've linked and pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, really like the worksheet.🤩

    ReplyDelete