Sunday, April 21, 2013

Super Science Selections: A Must Read Mentor Text and a FREE Science Graphic Organizer

Hi Friends.
I'm linking up with the Collaboration Cuties for the science edition of Favorite Mentor Texts.  I've been thinking about one science text to share and I'm afraid I'm going to have to cheat a bit this week.
I'd like to highlight a favorite science text author, Gail Gibbons.  She has written  s e v e r a l  science texts that are great for the early elementary classroom.
Below you will find a free printable that can go along with any of Gibbons' books.  Students can write words in the appropriate boxes to show what they know about a given science topic.  After reading a book that covers that topic, students will add more information to their graphic organizers.  This activity can be done individually, with partners, or with the whole group.  
If you would like a free copy of this printable, click on the picture below.  The clip art is from Scrappin Doodles.



If you do not have any of Gibbons' books in your library, go check some out.  They are great resources to have.  If you are looking for some other great resources, check out the other links at Collaboration Cuties' Must Read Mentor Texts Link Up.
Have a great week and best of luck if you are testing.

12 comments:

  1. We loooooove Gail Gibbons!! She has such great, informational books!! Thanks so much for the cute freebie!!

    Thanks for linking up! :O)
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey again! Did you know you are a no-reply blogger? Check this link to see what I mean if you want :O)

      http://teachingwithloveandlaughter.blogspot.com/2012/07/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html

      Amanda

      Delete
  2. I chose a Gail Gibbons book too! Love all of her work! Thanks for the freebie. I'm a new follower.
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that Gail is popular today! :) She is awesome. Thanks for sharing her with us. I'm your newest follower. :)
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just came over from Collaboration Cuties- love Gail Gibbons - her books are so great! I'm your newest follower! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several Gail Gibbons books too and my kiddos and I love them. I'm a new follower.:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing the activity! Gail Gibbons has SO MANY wonderful nonfiction text that she has written over the years. She was our last "Author in the Spotlight"... I will put this graphic organizer out for the kids next year! Glad to have found your blog with the mentor text link up--I have just become a follower! Will be back to read future posts...

    All the best--
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are correct- Gail Gibbons is a wonderful Science resource! I love the colors in her books! I am your newest follower.
    Carol @Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gail Gibbons really does have the best science books! I am a new follower :)
    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gail Gibbons books are great to teach non-fiction topics. We love how they teach information in a kid friendly way. The freebie is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Gail Gibbons as well! Thanks so much for the freebie! I am totally going to incorporate that! Great idea for partners or having them work individually =)

    Julia
    The Army Wife Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love Gail Gibbons. I'm on a mission to collect everyone of her books.
    Maria
    First Grade Carousel

    ReplyDelete