Friday, May 10, 2013

Five for Friday: May 10, 2013

Today was my school's mega party (i.e. bouncies), end of the year dance, a birthday and we hosted an author's visit.  To say this Friday has been crazy is quite the understatement.  But, I made it out alive and now it's time for Doodle Bugs Teaching's Five for Friday link up.

Number 1
I heart Mo Willems.  Just as the kids are reaching a fever pitch here at the end of school, there is an author that perfectly meets the energy level pulsing through my class . . . Mo Willems.  His books are fun and silly and great for loads of literacy activities.  And even better, first graders can actually draw awesome pigeons.  Once I show them a few easy steps to draw pigeon, they feel so empowered.  You will see pigeon on the sidewalks in chalk, on journal pages, and even in Mother's Day cards.  Mo Willems' books are perfect for students that are ready to fly the coop.

Number 2
My students wrapped work on their My Marvelous Mom books this week.  Most of my students were so thoughtful and careful completing these booklets to give to their moms for Mother's Day.  I loved reading them.  I'm sure their moms will love reading them too.  You can click on the picture if you would like a free copy for next year.
Here are a few excerpts.

Number 3
Since we're on the topic of Mother's Day, here is picture of my mom and me on a night out for last Mother's Day.  Sorry for the fuzzy picture.  We were in a theater waiting for a performance to begin.
She is a wonderful parent and a FABULOUS grandparent to my daughter and my nephew.  I am so blessed to have her in my life.  I hope when my daughter is grown I can be to her what my mom is to me.  

Number 4
A  had her little end of the year program at her preschool this week.  She is in the readiness class and will be in kindergarten next year. (sigh)  Instead of a cap and gown ceremony, they had a Teddy Bear Program.  All the students brought bears.  They wore bear ears and sang bear songs.  After the program the students served their families a teddy bear picnic that they had prepared.  All of the food was teddy bear themed.   A  was so proud to serve us the lunch she made.  
It was a special day and I only got a little teary once.  If she had been in a cap and gown instead of the bear ears, I am sure I would have lost it.

Number 5
This morning did not start off very well.  As I was rushing out the door, I knocked my coffee cup off the kitchen table and shattered.  I was sad for the mess and the broke cup.   But I was most disappointed that I had no coffee to drink this morning.  Because of the accident, I left a little late.  And guess what I got behind . . . a trash truck.  I just knew this was going to be one of those days.  
But luckily I made it to school in time and when I walked in I had a sweet surprise waiting for me.  There right beside my door was a lovely rose bush and a very sweet note from one of my families.  I am so grateful. 

I hope you had a great week.  Thanks so much for reading.  Be sure to check the other Five for Friday links at Doodle Bugs Teaching.
Best.

13 comments:

  1. Yay another new blog to follow! It looks like you've had a great week- especially with all of the mothers day stuff- I love those little booklets!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes & Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your coffee...I would have felt the same way. But what a gift. It's beautiful!
    I love the pigeons. How cute!
    Have a great weekend!
    ❀Beth Ann❀
    Taming My Flock of Firsties
    tamingmyflockoffirsties@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always a bummer to start a day like that! Looks like your little one is proud at her program.
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture of you and your mom! I hope you have a relaxing and restful Mother's Day!

    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 'five for Friday' was great reading. That rose is gorgeous and keep enjoying all those special moments.
    Paula
    Paula’s Place

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant get enough Mo Willems too =) Pretty obsessed with the Knuffle Bunny series! Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rose is beautiful but I bet that note was a keeper too! I've been teaching for 30 years and I would always rather have a note than a gift. I keep every single one. I really enjoy reading your blog each week. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always nice when you bad morning turns around! :)

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your bad day! What a sweet gift. :)
    Just Reed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your kids' books for mom and Pigeon, of course! Thanks for sharing your week... Happy Mothers' Day!

    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Pigeon's! We spent last week reading all the books and doing a few activities! They loved it!

    Lindsay
    For the Love of First Grade

    ReplyDelete