Sunday, May 19, 2013

Me and My Amazing Body: A Must Read Science Mentor Text and A Writing FREEBIE

Hi friends.
This week's Must Read Mentor Text Link Up's theme is science.  The book I chose is Joan Sweeney's Me and My Amazing Body.  Sweeney is the author of Me on the Map.  If you like Me on the Map, I'm sure you will find Me and My Amazing Body fab as well.
This book is a great overview of the different parts of the body and how they all work together.  My students really seem to enjoy the illustrations.  In the end Sweeney highlights how our bodies are very much the same, yet we are all different.  What a nice message.

One way I use this book is as a jumping off point for a writing lesson when we create our Boo Boo Map graphic organizers.  If you are unfamiliar with a Boo Boo Map, it is basically a graphic organizer where students mark places on a body outline where they have had injuries.  You know how much kids like sharing about boo boos.
Each marked boo boo can be an idea for a story.  Students keep these graphic organizers in their writing binders all year.  If they have a problem coming up with a topic, the Boo Boo map might me the perfect resource.
If you would like a free copy of this activity you can click on the picture below.  I included some different versions of the boo boo map, one is super modest (just in case).  The clip art is from Scrappin Doodles.

Me and My Amazing Body is a great science text to support this writing lesson and a great book on its own.  If you do not have a copy in your class library, you really should check it out.
Here is the break down:
There are other great science text recommendations at Collaboration Cuties.  Be sure to take a look.
Thanks for reading.
Best.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, these books bring back happy memories. Believe it or not, I used to teach the little guys too. :) I had these books and used them often. Great memories. :)
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book... I think! Love your boo boo map idea! Thanks for sharing!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. How stinkin' cute is this??? I love it! I love that it's a science book but you use it in writing! What a great idea!

    Thanks so much for linking up and for the cute freebie!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea. Thanks for sharing. =)

    I'm your newest follower, drop by.

    Just Wild About Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Boo Boo Map is ADORABLE!!! Thanks for sharing!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Me on the Map and I am excited to check this one out! I am also excited to start following you!
    Kheila
    Two Friends In First

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be a a great assignment to integrate my Human Body unit with writing next year. Thank you much for sharing!

    Your newest follower,
    Marissa
    Here's the Hoot

    ReplyDelete