Sunday, June 16, 2013

Who Sank The Boat?: A Mentor Science Text

Happy Father's Day!
It's the third Sunday of the month which means its science day on Collaboration Cutie's Mentor Text Link Up.  The book I would like to share is Pamela Allen's Who Sank the Boat?

This book has been around for a while.  It really lends itself to many reading skills.  I usually use it for predictions.  It is also perfect for sequencing and rhyming.  Who Sank the Boat? can also be a fun addition to your science library to start a conversation about what makes things sink or float, or even balance.
It is about a group of farm friends boarding a row boat one at a time.  There is suspense as each animal enters the boat.  Will this one be the one who finally sinks the boat?  At the end students find out it was the least likely character the caused the boat to go finally down.


I found simple to execute experiment to go with this story at Indirect Observations.  Students can make a boat out of foil and see what allows the boat to float or what causes it to sink.  To tie the experiment into the book, use plastic animals to represent the characters.  Click on the pic below if you would like more info.

If you have a minute, take a look at this YouTube video short for the Who Sank the Boat?  Pretty funny.



I recommend this book for your library.  I think you will find lots of uses for it.
Here is the low down:

Be sure to stop by Collaboration Cuties for more teacher tested science texts for your classroom.

7 comments:

  1. I love books like this that can be used to teach so many different reading strategies!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will get a copy of this one! Never have seen it before--a great science connection Thanks for sharing the YouTube video--heading there next... :0) Have a great week!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book! I haven't used it in a while. Sounds like a fun engaging science activity to go along with it!

    Gwen
    Learning With Mrs. Brinn

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is this book and the activity that you did with it? I love it (and I'm interested in what happens!)

    Thanks so much for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog last night after reading about Science texts. I am teaching summer school & we are incorporating our
    literacy into our Science units. I just started the unit on Heavy Lifting. We did levers this morning & also found this book
    Who will Since the Boat? in our kit. I thought I have to go back & find the post about this book to see what I need to do before
    I read this book to the students. Thanks for sharing, Jackie
    jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. I'm glad you can use this activity so soon.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete